Observations of a Domesticated Person Reverting to Her Non-Familial State While Her Family is Gone for a Long Weekend
May 4, 2013 § Leave a comment
- Cinnamon in my coffee.
- Sleeping to 11:00 unmolested. (Unless Bill next door is mowing his damn lawn. Again.)
- Eating cereal for dinner.
- Having a friend spend the day with you at home doing … whatever.
- Books and magazines on the other side of the bed.
- Waking up in the middle of the night and turning on the light to read.
- Not making the bed.
- Reading the Saturday Washington Post all the way through. I mean, all the way through. With a second and third cup of cinnamon coffee. On the porch.
- Wandering to 23rd Street for dinner and margaritas (plural) without having made a plan for it.
- The still and quiet.
- Going into Lely’s room and seeing that it’s clean. For the third day in a row.
- Smelling her in her sun-warmed room.
- Seeing P’s shoes next to the front door. Unmoved from the day before.
- Not smelling coffee (non-cinnamon) wafting up from the kitchen.
- Not hearing one … two sneezes downstairs.
- Haven’t heard “I have a question for you” once today.
- No hamster pile of dirty workout clothes behind the office door.
- Actually, I did make the bed. Each day. Before I went downstairs.
- Too still. Too quiet.